Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The One Question You'll Get Always Get Asked During Chinese New Year

CNY 2008 has come and gone. Its now the Rat Year, and I'm overdue in compiling my predictions from Master B as to what this year has in store for all of us.

This year's gathering was, as usual, at my 2nd uncle's house in Penang. They've renovated the living room, added a new fancy plaster ceiling, and a new front door with a lock that gets stuck frequently. At the end of the day, my angpow collection was much less than last year.

Coming to look at it, my takings in Chinese New Year money has been gradually diminishing ever since I started work in '05. This year has been barely enough to pay for 3 weeks of gas for my car. Or half the rent...

What I've noticed is every year during this mammoth familial gathering of 7 men & women, plus their families & grandchildren, you'll get asked certain questions at least several times. From my observation of my fellow cousins and my own experience, I've noticed that these questions can be grouped into several categories:

If you're studying:

- When you going to graduate, ah?
- Have you got a boyfriend/girlfriend?

Once you've graduated and working:

- When are you going to get married?


Once you're already married:

- When are you going to have children?


I'm always reminded of that part in Super Mario Bros where everytime you painstakingly finish a stage, that guy comes up and says:

Find your damn Princess yourself!


At least I get an angpow in return....

No comments: